In Masonic terms I suppose that it could be said that Lodge Coltswood Glenboig is only a “baby” compared with some Lodges who have been in existence for over300 years.
Itmust also be observed that as this fine Lodge celebrates its centenary, that inthese years the Lodge has managed to survive and flourish to the standards it has today.
The Lodge has survived many horrors of two World Wars, had the sadness of coping with the deaths of three Kings, Edward VII, George V, and George VI, and of course the abdication and death of Edward VIII.
It also had to adjust to the decimalisation of our currency in the early 1970’s, and as we now approach the Millennium our currency is about to be changed yet again.
The village of Glenboig has also had to endure many changes since the formation of the Lodge:-
In the early years it had the world famous Glenboig Union Fireclay Company which produced 250,000 bricks per day.
It also had the Bedlay Colliery, opened in 1905 and in 1969 employed over 1,000 men producing 250,000 tons of coal per year. Sadly it closed in 1981, and the shafts filled in.
Wages were poor, sickness was rife, and living conditions left a lot to be desired.
In attempting to compile this short history of Lodge Coltswood Glenboig, we have to rely on the Lodge Minute Books for my information, and it is regrettable that a few of these books cannot be located. This is very unfortunate as the missing years total nearing twenty.
It has to be hoped that one day these may be recovered, and perhaps in the future the missing blanks in the history will be filled in.
I sincerely hope that the present and future Brethren who read these following pages will find them interesting and will be able to look back through the years of this fine Lodge with a lot of pride.
Look back with pride and admiration to our Founder Members, and look forward to the future, not with apprehension, but with a firm desire to further in the interests of a Lodge of which every Brother is proud to be a member.
Bro. Joseph Fay, PM Lodge Whifflet St John No. 963
Affiliate Member of Lodge Coltswood Glenboig No. 1067
A HISTORY OF LODGE COLTSWOOD GLENBOIG No. 1067
In the year 1909 a few informal meetings were held by a group of Masons with a view to forming a new Masonic Lodge in the village of Glenboig.
These informal meetings were held in Roseneath Cottage, Glenboig, and as a result of these meetings the first called meeting was set to be held at the Glenboig Band Hall on Wednesday, 10 November 1909.
A further called meeting was held on 16 November 1909, and at this meeting it was decided to contact Lodges 177, 544 and 963 to gain sponsorship for a petition for a Charter for the proposed new Lodge. It was also decided at this meeting to contact the Church Committee of the U.F. Church with a view to letting their hall.
Considering the fact that in 1909, and within a radius of five miles, there were seven active Masonic Lodges namely 88, 147, 166, 177, 203, 544 and 963, why did our founder members think it was a viable proposition to try and form a new Lodge. After all Glenboig was only a small country village and the means of getting to the he village were very limited.
However, the decision was made to carry on with the project and the wheels were set in motion to form “Coltswood” Glenboig No. 1067.
The Founder Members of Lodge Coltswood Glenboig No. 1067 were as follows:
|Name||Lodge Number||Name||Lodge Number||Name||Lodge Number|
|Bro. Young (P.M.)||147||Bro. Baxter||147||Bro. McRoberts||873|
|Bro. Sloan||147||Bro. Ferguson||147||Bro. Brown||963|
|Bro. Sergeant||147||Bro. McKee||147||Bro. McRae||963|
|Bro. Sloan||147||Bro. Hall||147||Bro. Thomson||117|
|Bro. Henry||147||Bro. Hepburn||147||Bro. Chapman||177|
|Bro. Hynds||147||Bro. Paterson||147||Bro. Sinclair||177|
|Bro. Madill||147||Bro. Hamilton||147||Bro. Sinclair||203|
|Bro. Black||147||Bro. Carmichael||203|
At a meeting held on 24 November 1909, it was reported that the petition for a Charter had been duly signed by our sponsors – namely 177, 544 and 963.
The principal office bearers of the proposed new Lodge were then elected as follows:-
|Right Worshipful Master||Bro. S. McRae|
|Depuate Master||Bro. J. Baxter|
|Substitute Master||Bro. J. Hynds|
|Worshipful Senior Warden||Bro. R. Sloan|
|Worshipful Junior Warden||Bro. A. Henry|
|Secretary||Bro. H. Young|
|Treasurer||Bro. S. Sloan|
|Senior Deacon||Bro. G. Hamilton|
|Junior Deacon||Bro. J. Ferguson|
|Inner Guard||Bro. A. Paterson|
|Tyler||Bro. S. McKee|
At a meeting on 30 November 1909, it was decided that the name of the proposed new Lodge would be “Coltswood” Glenboig, and that the Lodge colours would be crimson and gold (the same colours as 963).
It was also decided to rent the U.F. Church Hall for a period of 6 months.
On 6 January 1910, the completed and signed petition for a Charter was sent off to Grand Lodge in Edinburgh.
At a meeting held on 3 February 1910, the Minute Book informs us that “Amid great scenes of joy and jubilation” a telegram was read from Bro. Muir, R.W.M. of 963, informing the Brethren that he had received a telegram from Grand Lodge stating that the new Charter had been granted this date 3rd February 1910.
On 3 March 1910, the remaining offices of the Lodge were filled as follows:-
|Chaplain||Bro. W. Hall|
|Juniour Steward||Bro. W. Carmichael|
|Bible Bearer||Bro. J. Black|
|Librariian||Bro. W Madill|
|Architect||Bro. J Sinclair|
|Organist||Bro. T. McRoberts|
|Director of Cerimonies||Bro. J. Brown|
|Director of Music||Bro. A. Sinclair|
|Sword Beraer||Bro. J. Hepburn|
|Bard||Bro. R. Chapman|
|Marshall||Bro. A. Sinclair|
|Jeweller||Bro. J. L. Brown|
|Senior Steward||Bro. J. Sergeant|
The Consecration and Dedication of the Lodge was held on 11 April 1910. A deputation from the Provincial Grand Lodge of the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire, headed by Bro. P. Spence, R.W.S.P.G.M. and a further nineteen members from Provincial met at the U.F. Church and dressed and marched to the hall to carry out the service.
Atthis meeting 22 sister Lodges were represented as follows:-
|Lodge No.||Attendees||Lodge No.||Attendees||Lodge No.||Attendees||Lodge No.||Attendees|
A total of 153 Brethren attended this special meeting and the Minute Book tells us that the ceremony was one of “Great Feeling”.
The Provincial Chaplain at this meeting addressed the Brethren and uttered some beautiful and important remarks.
In order that some of these words are not lost forever, I think a few extracts from his speech should be written down, and hopefully absorbed by us as Freemasons.
“Tonight We Have Planted A Seed, Which Would Bye And Bye Grow Into A Great Tree Under Which We, Our Children, And Children’s Children Would Sit And Enjoy Its Shade And Fruits”.
“That Charity Was The Highest Gift Possible Of Our Great Masonic Brotherhood”.
“He Hoped That The Foolish Idea Would Never Be Entered Into That A Masonic Lodge Existed Only To Provide A Few Hours Of Social Pleasure”.
“No Lodge Should Be Constructed That Measures Its Success On The Number Of Candidates Or High Attendance At Lodge Meetings”.
“A Lodge That Sought To Understand More And More Of The High And Hidden Mysteries Of The Craft, And Sought To Protect These Ideals Was Indeed A Prosperous Lodge”.
These words were spoken almost 100 years ago, and are as important to us as Freemasons today as they were all these years ago.
The first official meeting of the Lodge was held on 14 April 1910. At this meeting the names of six candidates were read out, balloted and initiated by the R.W.M. All this happened on the same evening.
At this meeting Bro. John Ramsay (who had presented a V.S.L. to the Lodge) was obligated as the first honorary member of Lodge Coltswood.
On the instruction of Grand Lodge the Dais was draped and Office Bearers were in full Masonic Mourning as a token of respect on the death of King Edward VII.
26 May 1910 was the meeting at which the first Master Masons Diplomas were issued to Brethren initiated on 14 April 1910.
9 June 1910 was the evening when Lodge Coltswood welcomed its first official deputation. Bro. Wyper led a deputation from 963, and conferred a Master Mason Degree.
The first Mark Master Degree was also conferred by Bro. Wiper and a deputation from 963 on 16 June 1910. At this meeting 963 presented a set of plans and working tools of a Mark Master Mason.
The year of 1910 was a very important year for the Lodge being its first year in existence, and with a few exceptions the BYE-LAWS of 963 accepted.
Brother Young (Secy) was requested to make a carpet for the Lodge and he agreed to do this provided he was given £1.00 (ONE POUND) to cover the cost of the material!
At a meeting held on 30 June 1910, certain other proposals were passed.
- Accept lease of hall for £2.00 (TWO POUNDS) per annum.
- 14 days should elapse between proposal and ballot.
- Initiation Fee would be £3.3/- (£3.15p)
- Affiliation Fee would be 7/6d (37 1/2p)
- Test Fee would be 3/- (15p)
- Life Membership Fee would be £1.10/- (£1.50p)
- Harmony ticket would be 7d (3 1/2p)
The first year of the Lodge was about to come to its conclusion and on 20 November 1910 Bro. Wyper of 963 was honoured by being the first Installing Master of Lodge Coltswood Glenboig.
Now that the first year has passed, and the years start to roll on, the Minute Books are very sparse in content and coupled with the fact that so many years of history appear to be lost forever, I have read through the books in my possession and catalogued some of the events interesting events.
Mr. Killen who was the station master at Glenboig Station offered to run a special train from Glenboig to Coatbridge on meeting nights, and the Lodge proposed to pay the balance of the cost if it fell below the fares paid by passengers.
It was decided to have a Motto for the Lodge this was to be “MOSS JANNA VITAL” which translated means “DEATH IS THE GATE OF LIFE”. This motto can be seen to this date on the East wall of the Lodge.
The meeting on 4 May will be an E.A. Degree followed by a Mark Degree at 8 p.m.
Meeting on 22 June will be cancelled due to the Coronation of King George V and Queen Mary.
A football match was arranged between Glenboig Masons and Glenboig Merchants.
Bro. Henry (S.W.) was thanked for the use of his pony and trap for Masonic duties and was presented with an umbrella by the Brethren of the Lodge.
It was proposed that parcels be sent to Brethren on active service.
It was reported to the Lodge that 24 members were on active service
It was reported to the Lodge that one of our members Bro. William M. Thomson had been awarded the O.B.E.
It was reported that Brother A. Mutch Jnr. had been wounded in France. A motion was passed that every Brother on active service receive a postal order for 5/-.
It was reported back to the lodge that Brother Kenny McConnell killed in action in France, Brother James C. Brash awarded the D.C.M. for bravery in action, and Brethren sang the National Anthem at the close of the meeting.
Building Committee proposed to the Lodge that they think about building a new Temple.
Lodge Coltswood were involved in local committees regarding the erection of a War Memorial. Collection taken up for this project amounted to £3.3/-.
Brethren marched in full Masonic Regalia for Church Service.
During the first ten years of the Lodge it averaged 21 new candidates, and in that year of 1919, they had initiated no fewer than 97 candidates.
The Minute Book quotes:-
“After justice had been done to the good things” a pleasant hour was spent in song and sentiment.
Motion to build a two storey Temple was put to Lodge and was defeated by a vote of 5 AGAINST – 3 FOR.
This seems a very small vote on such an important matter, but the Minute Books gives no further information.
A report was put before the Lodge with a view to purchasing the U.F. Church Hall.
a donation of £20.00 was received from the Eastern Star. A wonderful gesture and a great deal of money in this year of 1920.
On the subject of a new Lodge to be formed in Gartcosh, the Lodge voted by 14 to 6 to appeal against the formation of a new Lodge.
After a few meetings, proposals and counter proposals, it was agreed that they should purchase the U.F. Hall for £390.00 + half the legal fees.
Unveiling of the Glenboig War Memorial at 3 p.m.
First discussions took place regarding holding an annual dance. The music would be provided by a piano and violin and the tickets would be 4/- for men and 3/6d for ladies.
Unable to open the Lodge as only 6 Brethren arrived at the hall.
Unable to hold a meeting because of a fire in the ante-room. All Lodge Aprons, Tools and even the Charter were destroyed. P.L.G. was asked for dispensation until a new Charter was received. In the meantime it was decided to purchase 50 Aprons, and Lodge working tools, and to contact Co-Operative Insurance Company.
Lodge purchased 6 dozen cloth aprons at 2/- each and a full set of working tools for £2.00.
Settlement came from the Co-operative Insurance regarding fire damage. The offer was £378.10d for damage to building and £100.00 for Lodge Regalia.
The offer of a Pulpit Bible to replace the one lost in the fire was thankfully accepted.
Lodge agreed to purchase 24 Office Bearers Aprons at £1.5/- each, Sashes at 12/6d, Collarettes at 3/- and Jewels at 16/6d.
The Lodge formed a Committee to visit Brethren who were three years in arrears with Lodge dues.
A motion was put before the Lodge that the Brethren of Coltswood pay the harmony levy for visitors. An amendment was put forward that the Brethren do not pay. The amendment was carried.
A Whist Drive, Dance and Sale of Work raised a profit of £5.4/9d and a Sale of Work with Side Shows realised a handsome profit of £29.12/4d.
The Dramatic Society who had hired the hall, asked for permission to fit temporary footlights. Permission was granted providing they paid for the extra electricity used.
Lodge went into official mourning owing to the death of King George V.
The Lodge was informed of the death of Bro. Hynds, one of the founder members. This was the first break in the chain of founder members.
Bro. A. Mutch was presented with a barometer in recognition of his 25 years service as an Office Bearer.
The Lodge was informed that Bro. A. Paterson, one of the founder members, had been killed at work.
It was passed in the Lodge that all members serving in the Forces be kept clear in the Lodge books whilst serving.
The R.W.M. of Griffen Gartcosh ripped the seat of his trousers on a nail on a Lodge chair. The Lodge had to pay to have them mended.
The Lodge was informed by local authority that the hall would be at the disposal of the local residents if they suffered enemy attack.
The Lodge was informed of the death of another founder member Bro. John Ferguson P.M.
The Lodge discussed plans for acquiring Past Master Boards.
Archibald Match awarded Honorary Grand Rank of Provincial Grand Lodge Bible Bearer
The Lodge was informed of the death of ex-provost R. Irvine of Coatbridge who was Chaplain of the Lodge.
The Lodge decided to purchase an Apron, Sash and Jewel and present it to Brother A. Mutch in recognition of his services as Secretary of the Lodge.
The Lodge offered its congratulations to Brother David Shaw (brother of Jock “Tiger” Shaw of Glasgow Rangers) on his appointment as Manager of Aberdeen Football Club.
An application for Benevolence from a Brother of the Lodge was refused on the grounds that the said Brother who had been initiated in 1926, had never paid any dues to the Lodge.
The Lodge was informed of the death of a Brother of the Lodge who had only attained the rank of a Fellow Craft.
The Minute Book informs us that 11 January 1962 was the date of the Lodge’s first Instruction Class.
On the subject of Past Masters Boards, Brother Stewart of Lodge 199 made the boards and Brother Walker of Lodge 147 offered to put on the names of the Past Masters.
The Lodge was informed of the death of the former secretary for many years – Brother A. Mutch.
The Lodge was informed of the death of another founder member – namely Brother John Black.
The Lodge was informed of the death of Brother Hugh Young P.M. who was the first secretary of the Lodge and the last founder member of the Lodge.
William Menzies awarded Honorary Grand Rank of Provincial Grand Lodge Grand Marshall
At the meeting on 7 January reference was made to the Ibrox Park Football Disaster and the Brethren were upstanding to observe one minute’s silence.
The dedication of the Lodge Alter, Bible and Cushions took place. The Alter was presented by Brother Harris, the Bible by Brother Findlay, and the Cushions by Brother Menzies.
It was passed in open Lodge that any Brother who had attained pensionable age would benefit from a free meal at Installations. At the present time I am unsure if this motion has been rescinded.
Past Master R. Gunning presented the Lodge a set of Deacon’s Rods.
On Sunday, 15 September, the Lodge was represented at the Church Service to dedicate the Pulpit Bible “Presented to Glenboig Parish Church from Lodge Coltswood Glenboig No. 1067”.
Three Gavels for the use of the R.W.M., W.S.W., and W.J.W. were presented to the Lodge from Lodge 963.
The R.W.M. announced that the Lodge had received a gift of a hand engraved box containing individually wrapped cigars with the Coltswood logo. The cigars were sold for £1.00 each, and realised the sum of £50.00 for Lodge funds. It was also decided that the box remain the property of the R.W.M.
Brother J. Dorricot R.W.P.G.M. presented to Brother Harris, Treasurer, a framed Diploma and a personal Jewel to make the occasion of being honoured by receiving Distinguished Service Membership for his service to Lodge Coltswood.
Brother James Jarvie P.M. of Lodge Milo 938 in Saudi Arabia presented a ten year anniversary jewel to the R.W.M. of Lodge Coltswood.
A portrait of the H.M. Queen was presented to the Lodge by Brother W. McLaughlin.
At a meeting on 5 April 1990, Brother J. Dorricot, R.W.P.G.M., gave a glowing report to the Brethren of Brother James Shanks P.M. of Lodge Coltswood, and at present the W.P.G.S.W. He made reference to the fact that although Brother Shanks had been initiated in 1966 he had attained the Chair in his Mother Lodge in the year of 1969/70.
Brother Dorricot presented to Brother Shanks a Distinguished Services Diploma and a Jewel was presented to Brother Shanks by Brother Mack, R.W.M., to mark the occasions.
Brother Shanks is still very involved in Coltswood, and at the time of writing he is the Worshipful Depute Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge.
Brother R. Gunning P.M. was installed for the second time as R.W.M. of Lodge Coltswood, on 3 December.
At a specially called management meeting, the Brethren were deeply shocked when informed that Brother R. Gunning, R.W.M., had died.
Brother A. Hamilton P.M. offered to take over the duties of R.W.M. for the ensuing year.
A mentioned elsewhere, the Lodge was always keen to support local organisations and they donated £25 to Glenboig United Football Club to help pay for their trip to Belgium.
Bro. J. Tate PM of Lodge Avon presented to the Lodge a paymasters wicket for use in the MMM Degree
Bro Sandy Stewart presented a portrait of Bro. Robert Burns to the Lodge
The Lodge received an anonymous donation of £1240, a very generous donation indeed
The Lodge received a quotation for a new Lodge carpet priced at £1153.83 including VAT
A brother of the Lodge reported to the Lodge (his name shall not be revealed) that “he was in bed with influenza, and that he was looking forward to receiving a “Get Well Card” from the Lodge. The response from the brethren was “tough luck”!.
Bro. Harris PM was presented with a gift from the Lodge in appreciation of 45 years service to the Lodge and 25 years as unbroken service as Treasurer
The Lodge purchased a PA system for the harmony at a cost of £600
The meeting of the Lodge was scheduled to commence at 7pm, The temple could not be opened because no brother had the keys !. The Secretary put this report in the minute book
“Two well known brethren, being key holders and also Past Masters of a superior breed of workmen travelled to Glenboig in search of more Masonic light, on arrival at their destination they found that the keys were missing from the pockets of their apparel. This caused great consternation amongst the assembled brethren, after calling a conference with the brethren one of the master masons gained passage from Glenboig to Ramone in search of keys. Great was the rejoice when he returned and proclaimed “The keys are here”
The Lodge was upstanding for one minutes silence in memory of Diana Princess of Wales who was tragically killed in a car accident in Paris France
Lodge 88 New Monkland Montrose donated an organ to the Lodge
PM David Stewart of Lodge Coltswood Glenboig No. 1067 was installed as RWM of Lodge Fluer Del Lys No. 1722
A quaich was presented to RWM Bro. Callum Stewart by Lodge Ruchill No. 1436
The Lodge was informed of the sudden death of Brother William Angus. Brother Angus was at the time of his death the Lodge Tyler, and at the Annual General Meeting had been proposed and seconded for the post of Inner Guard. Sadly he was never installed in this office but as a mark of respect the Lodge did not fill this post in the ensuing year.
Apron from Lodge 1067 of the French Constitution presented to the Lodge
A clock was presented to the Lodge by Bro John Thomson in memory of Bro. William Angus
Bro. D. Morgan received his MM Degree from the brethren of Lodge Caldercruix St. John No 1314. The Secretary wrote Bro. Morgan and the assembled brethren will never forget this degree” I wonder why?.
Brethren of the Lodge attended the funeral of Jock “Tiger “Shaw late of Glasgow Rangers
Bro. John Thomson presented to the Lodge a commemorative plate plaque to commemorate the Piper Alpha disaster
The Lodge was informed of the sudden death of Bro. PM Bobby Angus
Bro PM James Shanks awarded Honorary Grand Rank of Provincial Grand Lodge Grand Junior Deacon
Bro. PM Hugh Campbell paid a glowing tribute to PM Bobby Angus and thanked the 39 brethren from the Lodge who attended his funeral
Bro. PM Andy Miller 1067 received his 50 year certificate from The Provincial Grand Lodge of Lanarkshire Middle Ward, another 50 year certificate was due to be presented to Bro Pm J Harris but because of illness he was unable to attend the Lodge. The certificate will be presented to him by PM Jim Roberts
The Lodge was informed of the death of Bro. PM J Harris the former Treasurer of the Lodge who in 1996 was honoured by the Lodge for 45 years service to the Lodge and 25 years unbroken service as Treasurer
Lodge donated £100 to the East Asia Tsunami Fund
Lodge Dumfries Kilwinning No. 53 presented a gavel to RWM Neil Thomson in memory of his grandfather who was a member of Lodge Kilwinning for over 50 years
Bro PM James Shanks was installed as the Depute Provincial Grand Master of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Lanarkshire Middle Ward along with Bro PM Gordon McCaffer as Provincial Grand Treasurer at the Installation of Provincial Grand Master & Commissioned Office-bearers attendance on this evening was 440
Two PM’s of Lodge United Services (of Pretoria) No. 2067 English Constitution South Africa North, presented to RWM Neil Thomson a token of the Lodge also a copy of minute of the Lodge Re-Dedication
Bro. Andrew Durning died on 24th October 2007, his funeral held on 28th October 2007 was held McLarens funeral parlour Coatbridge. In relatively short time as a mason he a made a big impression on all brethren within and outside the Province. He was as well known for his generosity and amongst other things he donated the present Lodge bible and the two columns within the Lodge. Andy did not keep well but fulfilled his office as Bar Steward without a complaint. He also carried the Lodge set up, hall cleaner, and covering various offices. Andy planned his own “Masonic” funeral down to the last detail and would have been proud of the brethren present and the ceremony. Not counting the attendance of all the “pigeon Fanciers” that were representing all the various clubs.
RWM Gordon Rowe thanked PM Peter Greenan for all his work as Lodge Secretary over the past three years
At a presentation ceremony at the regular communication of PGL Bro. James McIlliden was invested with the honour of Provincial Grand Rank, Jim has entertained the Brethren and visitors alike at Glenboig for many years and his input in the Harmony has been legendary. Jimmy has been a regular attendee of Coltswood over the years and has regularly been referred to as “Jimmy and his big organ”. This was a great honour for both Jimmy for his commitment to the craft in general and to Lodge Coltswood
Over sixty Brethren took part in the 2008 PGL Golf Competition at Drumpellier Golf Club. Lodge Coltswood No. 1067 were in superb form with Bro. Colin Campbell winning the overall tournament and the Challenge Cup, Tom Ferguson winning the Seniors and the Lodge 1067 Team won the Masters Trophy. The Amicoil Trophy was presented to Bro Colin Campbell by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason Bro. Sir Archibald D. Orr Ewing at the regular communication of Provincial Grand Lodge on Friday 6th October 2008
Bro. James L. Jack, Provincial Grand Master attended the Regular Meeting of the Lodge this evening. It was a special occasion in that Bro. Alex Brown; RWM conferred the M.M. Degree on his father Sam Brown.
RWM Bro Colin T. Campbell attended the annual wreath laying ceremony at the National Burns Monument in Mauchline, Ayrshire, the ceremony was attended by The Provincial Grand Master of Ayrshire, members of Ayrshire Provincial Grand Lodge, The Grand Lodge of Scotland, RWM’s of various Ayrshire lodges, members of various other Masonic orders and fellow Brethren. Also in attendance were members of the Scottish Parliament and local Councillors. RWM Colin T. Campbell is picture below with the RWM of Lodge St David Tarbolton (Mauchline) Bro John Chalmers.
On the evening of 14th March 2009 the Brethren and friends of Lodge Coltswood were entertained to the highest level by the Brethren of Lodge St. David Tarbolton (Mauchline) No. 133. This was to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the Birth of Robert Burns. The evening was complete by having the charter that Robert Burns took his obligation, this was only one of four occasions where the charter had left the lodge room in Mauchline’ to which the Brethren of Coltswood will forever be in the debt of Lodge St. David for this high honour. The night also raised over £2000 for the Lodge Coltswood Centenary Fund in 2010.
Suddenly, on Saturday 4th April 2009, Peter Greenan, aged 68 years, sadly passed away. Peter was an affiliate member of Lodge Coltswood and served as the lodge Secretary from 2005 till 2007.
We are delighted to inform you that at a recent dinner held at Gartlea Community Centre a total of £5200 was raised on behalf of the Lodge Coltswood Glenboig Centenary fund and Lodge St. Andrews No. 544 Regalia fund. The night was chaired impressively as always by PM Ian Wilson and the speakers on the evening just got better as the night went on, first we had the memoirs of John “Bomber” Brown who entertained us with the exploits during his footballing career, then following, a great supporter of Lodge Coltswood Mr Mitchell Gibb who entertained us with his usual wit and humour, last and by no means least was the surprise of the evening Mr Bill Kelly who blew the audience away with this alternative humour and impressions, by far one of the best speakers heard on the circuit this year
the evening of Thursday 18th June a presentation of £1000 was made to Right
Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. James L. Jack on behalf of the
Provincial Grand Lodge caravan fund, the money was raised by the Brethren of
Lodge Coltswood on their very successful Burns Supper & Sportsman’s dinner.
On a unique occasion RWM Bro. Colin T. Campbell welcomed a large and distinguished deputation from Drumpellier Golf Club in to the Lodge Room. The deputation was headed by the Immediate Past Captain of Drumpellier Golf Club PM DM Bro. Ian Wilson, the degree was conferred in a exemplary manner by resident Professional of Drumpellier Golf Club PM Bro. Ian Taylor. The evening was further enhanced by a Deputation of the Provincial Grand Lodge of the Lanarkshire Middle Ward headed by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. James L. Jack, a total of 77 Brethren from far and wide signed the attendance book and were thoroughly entertained by the Drumpellier members. RWM Bro. Colin T. Campbell, also being a member of Drumpellier Golf Club was delighted to have had the opportunity to invite the Brethren along for this special occasion and would like to pay thanks to the Brethren from Drumpellier Golf Club for their support and in particular to PM Ian Taylor for arranging such a fantastic night. A very complimentary vote of thanks was proposed by the Provincial Grand Master.
(All excerpts taken from the Minute Books and website by permission of the Lodge).
All the events I have noted in the foregoing pages were taken from the Lodge Minute Books, but I am sure that there will be many events that Brethren, especially the older Brethren of the Lodge, will remember and wonder why they were not included in the history.
The probable reasons for any omissions is that the events were not in fact minuted, or that they are somewhere in the lost Minute Books.
Before we conclude we would like to pass comments based on my own personal experiences since attending Lodge Coltswood over the past few years and to mention a few events that have come to light since I started to write this history.
We are all aware of the hospitality shown by the Lodge to all visitors, but some visitors might not be aware of the donations of sandwiches, cakes and of course the famous “Coltswood Dumpling” that are given by members of the Lodge every meeting night. Brethren with this attitude towards the Lodge go a long way in helping to keep expenses down, and help create a good close “belonging to” feeling.
I am sure that no visitor could ever leave a Lodge Coltswood harmony without being impressed by the atmosphere and friendliness generated throughout the evening.
The Caustic wit and humour of Bro. Ian Wilson P.M., who controls the proceedings is accepted (or suffered) by the Brethren, and it creates a feeling of being part of the Lodge.
The Lodge instruction classes are remarkably well attended, and every Brother of the class is striving to perfect his ritual work for the benefit of the Lodge. The Present instruction class master is Brother Robert D. F Ross after the sudden death of PM Bro Angus, and it is becoming more and more evident that Brother Ross using his own methods and foresight, is moulding the class members into the finished product.
Candidates and Office Bearers
Considering the fact that within the Craft at large, there seems to be a general feeling of apathy, it is very pleasing to note that Lodge Coltswood seems to have a steady flow of candidates. It is also very pleasing to see that all the progressive offices within the Lodge are filled by young Brethren, eager and willing to head for the position of R.W.M. thus assuring the progress and stability of the Lodge for the foreseeable future.
R.W.M. Chain of Office
After many months of discussions regarding the purchase of a chain of office for the R.W.M., Brother James Strickland P.M., a jeweller by profession, offered to make and supply the chain of office at cost price, saving the Lodge a vast amount of expense. This offer was gladly accepted and approved by the Lodge.
I think that it is very fitting that the R.W.M. of Lodge Coltswood will at last be adorned with a chain of office befitting his high position.
In conclusion I would respectfully remind the Brethren always to bear in mind the very high principles that Lodge Coltswood was founded on.
The Lodge has always been noted for its high quality and friendliness, and I am sure that these are the reasons that down through the years, scores of Brethren wanted to affiliate and become part of this fine Lodge.
Also we must never forget the charities, hospital, local organisations and schools that this Lodge has helped financially over all these years.
Let the example set by the Founder Members, and carried on by the Past Masters and Brethren over the last 100 years, excite and encourage present and future members to build and develop this Lodge to even greater achievements to be passed on to future generations, and we look forward to the next 100 years hoping that this will herald another milestone in the history of this great Lodge.